Pedalling towards my Dreams


I was literally born cycling. At the age of two, I had a push cycle – then, a tricycle and soon, a cycle with training wheels!

I often rode doubles on my parents’ bicycles - I loved looking at the roads of Bangalore, talking nonstop, holding onto the carrier or my mom’s t-shirt.

At the age of 5, I moved to Amsterdam and the first thing my parents bought me was my first proper cycle. No training wheels!  

I fell so many times but somehow, I just didn’t want to give up. I climbed back on every time.

Then one day, while cycling I told my mom to not let go (as I would say every time) Suddenly, the people along the wooded path by the canals started clapping – I turned around to see my mother far behind me. I felt so happy and proud of myself!


And from that day on, I was unstoppable, I was busting the streets, whether it was rain or shine! Biking 3 km to school and back every day.

One thing I loved about Amsterdam was the entire city – even the country is connected by cycle paths.  I felt safe and powerful.

In 2015 I moved back to India, and predictably - my mom bought me a brand-new cycle. I cycled everywhere, even to school! However, I only use the back roads – the main roads are scary especially during peak time.


My parents don’t own a car and as we cycle together, we have long conversations or just point out flowering trees and familiar and new puppies on the streets.


Cycling is the great joy of my life –I feel independent, empowered – I know all the back routes and short cuts, the streets that are best shaded by trees, I discover new places too.

One thing I wish for is that my city would give me a safe and smooth cycle path that connects everywhere – and not just a particular stretch or a weekly car free day.

Try cycling, people! Experience these little moments of greatness on wheels!




Comments

  1. From someone who used to ride on your mom's bike carrier, and never figured out how to cycle herself....loved this piece, dear Ms M...your writing is growing just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahaha yeah my mom was telling me about that
      thank you so much sanaya aunty <3

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written Meera. Your thoughts are lucid. Was with you biking all the way. Well done 👏👏👏👏👏🤗❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this brought back so many beautiful memories of my cycling days myself. You are right, it IS very scary to cycle on our streets, especially for children. Hopefully things change real soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeahh, i hope tht they make seperate cycling paths very soon
      thank youu <3

      Delete
  4. Keep powering on with your cycling and sharing your thoughts Meera. I've loved our many memories and moments of cycling together...Sanju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanksss appa
      yessssssssssssss we do hve many many memoriessssssss <3

      Delete
  5. Awesome Meera. Your writing is so lucid and vivid. I could imagine you cycling your way around the cities , just by reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your love for cycling shines through in this piece! I too wish we have more bicycle paths, so more kids would feel empowered to take up cycling!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree to what you are saying Meera. I love riding bicycles too. You have captured your passion for cycling so well in this article. Keep it going Meera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely write-up Meera. Love it :* Also, congratulations <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Meera… just loved reading about your love for cycling. I feel inspired to take up cycling too. I miss those days of my childhood when I would go on exploratory bicycle rides through my neighbourhood in the small towns I grew up in. I love the idea of cycle as a mode of experience and transport but not as a tool for exercise. If fitness is a by product of cycling that’s fine by me. I look forward to start bicycling again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Meera… just loved reading about your love for cycling. I feel inspired to take up cycling too. I miss those days of my childhood when I would go on exploratory bicycle rides through my neighbourhood in the small towns I grew up in. I love the idea of cycle as a mode of experience and transport but not as a tool for exercise. If fitness is a by product of cycling that’s fine by me. I look forward to start bicycling again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so so much rajani aunty!
      when i come there we shud go on a cycle ride together!!! <3

      Delete
  11. Really well expressed Meera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely written Meera. Love your passion for cycling - it is one of my favorite things to do as well. Growing up in Chennai, I rode my bicycle all the time. The roads were very busy back then too. I was forbidden from riding on LB Road - so like you, I took the back roads as well. The whole world needs to follow the European model and create dedicated bicycle lanes on busy streets so that people can ride safely and fearlessly. Hopefully, the activism of young folks like you will make that a reality! Keep riding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was so cute Meera.. You are such a brave and sweet girl. I could totally relate to your bicycle moments and stories. Thanks for bringing my schooltime memories back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful write up Meera . Descriptive and to the point.Everyone will go back to their childhood days ... . God bless you dear . Jaya paatti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written Meera... U really do inspire me to start learning to ride a bike. I can almost feel like I am riding a bike when I read your post. That I think proves you really do know how to put things so effectively when u write... Continue to write and continue to inspire... And maybe u can teach me to ride as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully written Meera... U really do inspire me to start learning to ride a bike. I can almost feel like I am riding a bike when I read your post. That I think proves you really do know how to put things so effectively when u write... Continue to write and continue to inspire... And maybe u can teach me to ride as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow ...Well written Meeralees.. sounded rather read like a portion from Enid Blyton...keep it up.

    Now all the above so you share your prize money with me....yeaaaaa!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Superb Meera! Am inspired to cycle roads or not

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus has its Merits too!

MY RECYCLING LIFE!!